SERGIO PAOLO DIODATO
Frequently Asked Questions
1) Can those who can’t or don’t want to do the final review take the exam directly?
2) When can the review be done?
For the first year students, the date is February 10, 2021.
3) For this 2020/21 academic year, will there be other dates after the one listed to do the review?
Only those who can prove that they have work requirements or other valid justifications may request an appointment to do the online review at a date and time to be agreed upon in advance.
4) Those who are enrolled and are regularly following all the lessons of the first year of the Restoration course this year can take the exam in February 2021?
5) Those who during the last academic year had already passed the review obtaining the signature from the professor but have not yet taken the exam can do so this year?
they will be able to take the exam in February 2021 or in the following sessions, i.e. in the summer or autumn session or in February 2022, without having to attend the lessons and the revision again.
6) What does the revision consist of?
During the mandatory revision of the papers, which is usually held during the last week of the calendar, the teacher checks the signatures of attendance of each student; he wants to see the quality of the optional practical tests of pictorial integration that each student has been able to achieve so far and asks if he has produced a copy of an ancient work, or a detail of it, according to the techniques and possibly the original materials.
If the attendance to the lessons is insufficient and/or the quality of the proof of pictorial integration is not considered sufficient, the student will be denied the professor’s signature of the revision. He/she would also be denied access to the exam and, therefore, invited to take the new cycle of classes during the following academic year.
7) For the copy of an ancient work, do we necessarily have to copy an Icon?
The subject of the copy, both sacred or profane, it can be of any pictorial genre included within the program as long as it is copied in using the same technique as the original. It can be in encaustic, fresco, tempera on parchment or on a solid wood panel, with or without a gold background, or oil on canvas. The subject will be decided by the student according to his personal skills and preferences. As long as the original was painted no later than 1640.
8) Where can we find the textbooks?
In Florence at the Libreria Alfani Editrice, in Via degli Alfani, 84/86r;
at the Libreria Curiosa Mente in Via de’ Servi 94/96R;
in Via Laura 68/A at the Libreria Universitaria; or by ordering them directly on this site www.diodatoeditore.it.
9) What conditions are necessary to “do” the thesis with Prof. Diodato?
In order to “do” the thesis with me the following requirements are necessary:
1) having passed the two exams of the two-year period of Restoration with a grade of 30/30;
2) you must already have a clear idea of the topic you want to deal with (thesis topic), which must be related to the restoration of a work of art that must undergo restoration or that has already been restored but of which you have photographic documentation (before, during and after restoration);
3) have a good knowledge of the Italian language (level B2).
Those who believe they have these requirements can come during the reception hours, that is, every Wednesday (see calendar) in the first semester to agree on how to carry out the thesis.
10) What is needed to make a “rigatino” at home?
Materials for the “rigatino”: 100g of Bologna chalk; 50g of rabbit skin glue; a board of plywood min. 23 cm x 15; a color photocopy or a print from the file that you can download from this site; a threaded rod of 4 mm + 10 cubes of the same caliber; spare blades for large “cutter”.
11) When is the deadline to enroll in the Restoration Course?
The registration deadline date is Wednesday, November 11, 2020.
12) In order to be admitted to the exam, is it possible to sign up the morning of the exam instead of signing up during the previous days?
No. Whoever does not register to take the Restoration exam in the on-line list will not be admitted to the exam.